The Hanover County office of Virginia Cooperative Extension is your local connection to Virginia's land-grant universities, Virginia Tech and Virginia State University. Through educational programs based on research and developed with input from local stakeholders, we help the people of Hanover County improve their lives. We provide education through programs in Agriculture and Natural Resources, Family and Consumer Sciences, 4-H Youth Development, and Community Viability.
VCE has a history of strong partnership with county and city governments and desires to be community minded. Currently, there are no statewide mandates or restrictions on VCE business operations or educational programming regarding COVID-19. However, as a community serving organization, the health and welfare of our clients and employees is important. Therefore, the following recommendations are being provided as a common-sense approach to moving forward without statewide mandates or restrictions for COVID-19.
- Recognize and acknowledge that individuals have different comfort levels with no mandates or restrictions for COVID-19.
- Choose appropriate program delivery methods to meet the needs of your clientele.
- Continue enhanced cleaning and disinfection practices in the workspace and other meeting spaces as recommended by CDC workplace cleaning and disinfecting guidance .
- Continue to limit sharing of equipment or supplies o Monitor your COVID-19.
- Community Level and follow your local or CDC mask guidance. (i.e. community level high=mask required in VT facilities, community level low/moderate=personal preference).
- Discourage attendance by anyone sick or showing signs of illness within the last 14 days.
- Employees who are symptomatic or test positive cannot return to work until they meet the Virginia Department of Health Guidelines.
- Vulnerable employees can continue to seek temporary telework agreements and/or ADA accommodations to work from home
HANOVER MASTER GARDENERS
All homeowners with questions related to plants, trees, insects and wildlife are to be directed to the Hanover Master Gardeners. Most plant, weed and insect identification can be done by sending a picture via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please call the Helpline at: 804-752-4306
Soil Test boxes and forms are available in display boxes outside the main entrance of the Extension building. Each soil sample box and form is mailed to VA Tech with a check for $10 payable to Treasurer of VA Tech. More information and the forms can be found here: Virginia Tech Soil Testing Lab | Virginia Tech Soil Testing Lab | Virginia Tech (vt.edu)
4-H Junior Summer Camp
The Hanover – Goochland – Powhatan summer camp week will be July 4 – 8 2022. Please use this link to register for summer camp: https://tinyurl.com/HanoverCampRegis22
This year's camp fee is $325 and includes meals and lodging for five days and four nights, a camp t-shirt, class supplies, and snack fee. If payment is made by credit card there is a $10 additional fee. Limited scholarships are available - please contact Hanover Extension Office for details. Bus Transportation will NOT be provided to and from camp again this summer.
If summer camp is canceled by the VCE/VA Tech, state or federal government a full refund will be granted. If you cancel for any reason in writing by June 1, 2021, a refund minus deposit of $50 and ($10 credit card fee if applicable) will be granted. If for medical reasons youth cannot be admitted into camp a refund minus $50 and ($10 credit card fee if applicable) will be granted. If youth leave camp once they have checked in due to an exposure, a partial refund will be prorated and granted.
For more information about the Hanover – Goochland – Powhatan summer camp week and to stay up-to-date with COVID requirements visit our website with this link.
Hanover Communication Contests
Please see the link for the Hanover Weimer Communication Contest Schedule.
The Local Program - 4-H Youth and Development- Contests and Scholarships page has more information about each contest and requirements.
New and current Hanover 4-H club members, who will participate in the Adranetta E. Weimer 4-H Incentive Scholarship Program must complete and sign page 1 of the "Adranetta E. Weimer 4-H Incentive Scholarship Program Application" and submit to Missy Johnson by the .
Register for the Hanover June 6 - 8 well water clinic here:
Virginia Food Access Network (VFAN)
The Virginia Food Access Network (VFAN) accelerates efforts, connects partners, and shares resources to solve child hunger in Virginia and create nutritious food access for all Virginians.